For some bizarre reason I needed to transfer the histogram profile from one image to another image. Turning to Gimp, I decided to script it. I used script-fu, as I am still trying to learn python. The basic premise is to sample the histogram of both images, then convert them into an incremental function. Following that, you determine the transfer function to convert back from the one to the other. I realize that sounds complicated, but it isn't that bad. Here is a diagram:
So all I had to do was write a gimp script to do this. No Problem!
I think I'll be OK now....the box is recovering. It wasn't just one site hitting me it was a couple hundred, all with similar queries. Not sure what they were doing with the images, but I'm glad it has been put under control for now...
So the reason my server has been crashing is because some weenie with the IP 184.108.40.206 that traces back to India has been hitting my title generation script, many times a minute, with requests to generate 13 digit numeric string images. I had 100's of thousands of cached image files! Afterall the script was designed for my own use, not the abuse of some dickwad.
Blocked and banned. I'm keeping an eye out for hits to that script not coinciding with page loads, and will block aggressively.